Hi there!

I like food. It's a well-known fact. I like cooking, I like going to
restaurants, I like experimenting in the kitchen.
A combination of a new colleague asking me why I didn't blog about food
and the fact that I spent an hour eating a salad last night has brought me to
this - foodomnom. I have been told that I am a foodie before, but what exactly I hope to achieve with this blog, I am not sure.
I will post some recipes, some pictures, experiments and the like and also
photos of nice food and things like that. I am by no means an expert; it's just
nice to write about something I like.
So anyway, I went to the market today. Having eaten the fridge clean of fresh
food in last night's mega-salad, I decided a trip to the Isemarkt. The Isemarkt
is a must for anyone visiting Hamburg. It takes place on Tuesday and Fridays
under the U3 train line between Eppendorfer Baum and Hӧheluftbrücke. The train
line in between these two stops is about 1km long and it is outside, so when
the weather is nice (like it was today), it is a thoroughly pleasant experience.
I only recently discovered it, and I am trying to make a habit of wandering
through there, listening to people, smelling the smells and looking at all the
beautiful colours – be they flowers, fruit or herbs and spices (this is just an
example of the fabulous things on sale).
I met my friend Heather at Hӧheluftbrücke, and we took our time
strolling through the stands, getting overly excited by all the flavours and
things on sale, getting hungrier the further we went down the market. We each
bought a punnet of the strawberries you can see in the picture and I bought
some vegetables. The problem at markets when you are hungry is that you just
want to buy everything, particularly when it looks so good! I bought some courgettes,
aubergine and peppers at one of the vegetable stands –the guy was so smiley, I
couldn’t help but buy things.
By this point, Heather and I were starving, so we stopped half-way down
the market at a café two doors down from a shop called “snotty” (the name of
this shop is very misleading, it actually sells clothes). I found this place
through a friend who I met through the Hamburg International Women and it does
the most fabulous sour dough bread. I’d never had it before, but I just can’t
help myself when I go there – with goat’s cheese, honey and pears. It is a
FABULOUS combination and brought about that wonderful feeling of satisfaction
one gets when you’ve eaten great food.
Following this, we continued on our wanderings through the market,
passing a mini cupcake stand. The actual shop is in Eimsbüttel, and I do
believe I visited it with Talia. They are so cute and there is such a delicious
looking selection. I bought some more other things, such as cheese (from the
French speciality stand, and got to practice my French) and sweet potatoes.
I realised that there are plenty of other things I forgot to buy this
morning – and I also need to decide what I am going to have for dinner tonight
– there is an overwhelming choice! So off I go :)
No comments:
Post a Comment